Which silencer is the best for a Royal Enfield
There’s nothing like a universal ‘perfect silencer’. I suggest to work around the fittings and sounds. In my 10 years of experience of riding an old Machismo, AVL TBird as well as the carburetted STD500 plus witnessing other people’s silencer modifications, I have discovered that no silencer outputs a universal beat and sound. It is moreover based on how your engine is tuned.
Sadly, I can see much more bullets on the streets these days, in which the sound gets really ‘noisy’. I politely urge you to take care of that when installing a new one. Remember bullet’s sound is pleasant to ears when it has a good thump when the engine is running idle, not when the engine is at 2000 RPM.
I suggest check
1 .Short bottle silencer which was standard factory replacement 10 years back.These are also called as Indore or Choti Dholki as they tried to mimic the sound of older bullets unencumbered with noise/fuel average restrictions. Point to be noted here is that those older bullets came with short bottles.
2.Bend/curved silencer – which is coming now as standard factory replacement .
3. Goldstar Silencers – this is the slight variation from the short bottled ones.
Notably, I have seen many fellow riders witnessing increased performance after installing these. The goldstar silencer or the Goldie does not have any baffles inside it and the unique shape of the silencer ensures adequate back pressure and once fitted the difference is noteworthy.
Here are the popular silencers available dedicated for Royal Enfield that includes silencers which provides sonic effects:
1) Long Bottle: Gives slow Strong and long Strokes. Bass is heavy and strong Treble Is recessed. Physically it is very long and protrudes out of chassis.
2)Short Bottle: Most close to Original Cast Iron beats, it’s very pleasant and balanced out tune, very soothing for ears, not loud. Just right, very natural.
3) Wildboar: Emphasises specially on Bass, The bass is deep, heavy and thumpy Sound seems artificial and hurts ears when in Higher RPM’s
4) Goldstar: Gives a very Techno- Bassy tune. The sound upon hearing seems very artificial and not very smoothing for ears. Treble is boosted.
5) Falcon: Heavy tune, authentic and balanced tune interval. Non fatiguing tune.
6) Monster : Looks tiny, but gives heavy beats, and has deepest Bass of all.
7) Megaphone: Loud, fast beats, emphasized on Bass, sound is much more continuous without interval.
All the above silencers does not require change in bend pipe. Also ensure at least a couple of installation of ‘2 different silencers of the same type’ to observe the variations before finalizing the deal. There is a serious misunderstanding about an exhaust pipe doing the job of producing the famous thump. If this were true, everyone would install such a muffler.
When Royal Enfield tried their first experiment of replacing the vintage cast iron engines with the steel, the Bullet lovers or the thump lovers to be more precise, we’re upset and angry. People stopped buying the bikes. The company had to quickly bring back the same engine and the thump was back.
Exhaust muffler designing is very critical. I would never buy an exhaust muffler from a 3rd party vendor who cannot design an appropriate muffler like the engine designer.
A wrong muffler can change your engine power characteristics so it is better to stick to the original.